- Born and brought up on the Isle of Wight where my parents owned two hotels
- Moved to St Albans in 1981.
- Won Open Scholarship to Oxford University to read Modern History .
- Trained as a secondary school teacher at Cambridge University
- Studied for a Masters Degree in Educational Administration at London University.
- Assistant teacher then head of department in a number of secondary schools
- Worked for the independent liberal think tank CentreForum ( previously Centre for Reform ) since 2000. Executive Director since 2006.
- Member of Liberal/Liberal Democrats since 1973.
- Led St Albans efforts to win Chiltern Region membership recruitment award ( 1996 )
- Helped in over 20 Parliamentary by-elections
St Albans District Council:
- Elected by just 4 votes to represent Marshalswick South Ward in 1984 defeating the leader of the Tory Group.
- Re-elected 4 times before standing down in 2003.
- At various times Deputy Leader of the Council, Lib Dem Group Leader and
chair of a number of Committees
- Elected to represent Ashley Ward in May 2006 defeating senior Labour councillor
Hertfordshire County Council:
- County Councillor for St Albans North ( Batchwood and Marshalswick South ) from 1993 -1997.
- St Albans 1997
- Isle of Wight 2005
- Governor of Beaumont School
- Regularly visit former residents of Cell Barnes Hospital now living in the community
- At various times served on: Pioneer Youth Club Management Committee; Community Health Council; Citizens Advice Management Board; Verulamium Museum Trust, St Albans Girls School Governors and Spencer Junior School Governors.
- Married to Harriet who teaches English and Drama at Beaumont School
- Two children: Alice ( 23 ) is teaching English in Japan having graduated this year with a degree in French and Italian from Exeter University. Sam ( 20 ) is studying Modern History at Worcester College, Oxford.
- Soccer: lifelong and long suffering supporter of Burnley FC. Regular spectator at Clarence Park, St Albans
- Cricket: played for Hampshire and Isle of Wight at Under 19 level. Member of MCC.
- Running: completed 12 London Marathons and 23 St Albans Half Marathons. Member of St Albans Striders.
- Reading: literature, history and politics
- Visiting old churches